The groundwork has already been laid. Reduce your custom theming time by using a Drupal-specific theme framework with a powerful layout engine and sensible generic style defaults.
Use it as is, as a theme with simplistic/minimalistic design, or as a base theme for faster theme development.
Here are the key features of Groundwork:
- HTML 5
- Web accessibility optimized with ARIA roles
- 24-column grid system based on 960.gs
- Supports both sidebars.
- 15 regions with a special "Aside" region visible only in nodes.
- Optimized typography for all standard elements
- Advanced Theme Settings
- Powerful layout engine provides unlimited layout possibilities
- CSS Reset
- Collection of preset CSS classes
- HTML5 polyfill to support older browsers
- Formalize: HTML5 ready, progressively enhanced, cross-browser forms
- Icons for common Drupal form fields such as search, username, and password fields.
- and many more.
What is Groundwork?
Groundwork is a theme framework especially made for Drupal. It was built to help you design beautiful websites faster and more efficient. As its name implies, it's a groundwork which comes already with sensible generic style defaults, CSS browser hacks, collection of preset CSS classes and more. Because of Groundwork's basic generic style, you may also wish to use it as is, as a structured minimalistic theme.
Groundwork uses a 24 grid system based on the 960.gs. The layout options available are endless, which makes the Groundwork suite of themes extremely versatile. Customizing a website to specific layout and design is very easy. The Groundwork base theme supports 15 regions whereas the regions page_top, page_bottom, and help are special hidden regions. The other 12 regions are available to you for unlimited block placement and layout options via the Skinr module.
Documentation is under development.